"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Pettitte wants to pitch longer?

From Jim Molony:

On Tuesday, Andy Pettitte told KRIV-TV that he could pitch another 10 years if he wanted to and, at the very minimum, would like to help the Yankees open their new stadium in 2009.

"I really believe now, especially after playing with the Astros and pitching with my elbow the way it was when I needed the surgery, I realize now I could go out and probably pitch until I'm 45 years old, because I was throwing 82, 83 miles an hour and still being able to compete, maybe because I'm left-handed or whatever," Pettitte said. "For me, the thing of me not being able to go out there and get any guys out, I think that's so far down the road, probably, that's never going to play into my decision.

Everybody wanted me to come back. My wife realized that if she would have said, 'Let's shut it down,' I would have definitely done that. She was like, 'Let's see how it goes one more year.' So with that support and all of my teammates' support, no matter what, wanting me to come back and do this again, that's probably the big thing." (NASHVILLE CONFIDENTIAL)
If he can still pitch at a high level, I'd definitely want him back for 2009. Pettitte has always been a big-game pitcher and his signing last year was a huge move. He was definitely missed during those three years in Houston.

Thanks to my boy MantleMurcer for finding this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment