"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Rodriguez wanted to remain a Yankee all along

The Yankees officially announced the signing of Alex Rodriguez this morning. He talked candidly about the negotiating process and the involvement of Scott Boras.

From Kat O'Brien:

“If I had to do it again, I would have called Hank and done the negotiating myself,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez opted out of the final three years of his 10-year, $252-million contract, a decision that became public during Game 4 of the World Series. He said this morning that that was a huge mistake. All along, he wanted to remain a Yankee, he said, but he was given information by Boras that led him to think the Yankees were not interested in resigning him. Rodriguez’s resigning was officially announced today.

“I opted out simply because, let me preface it by saying it was a mistake,” Rodriguez said. “I was pretty sure based on the information that I was getting was that the Yankees were not interested in my services. … As far as the World Series, that was handled very poorly. My understanding was the letter would not go public until a day or two after the World Series was over. The timing was distasteful and very inappropriate. The whole thing was a mistake, it was a huge debacle.” (On the Yankees beat)
This whole story was been one chapter in a soap opera after another. For once, Rodriguez does not seem like the bad guy in this case.

0 comments:

Post a Comment