"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Friday, January 11, 2008

Hawkins loves being a Yankee

Free agent signee LaTroy Hawkins spoke about why he chose the Yankees and what he expects his role to be this season.

From Bryan Hoch at Yankees.com:

"With all the history and tradition, it's pretty much everybody's dream to wear the pinstripes and be part of the Yankees organization," Hawkins said by telephone. "I'm looking forward to it. It's funny. I'm excited about it, but my family and friends -- they're ecstatic about it.

"Now they're all Yankees fans. With the Yankees, you either love them or hate them. I like being a part of that whole aura."
...

"I think all of those innings are just as important," Hawkins said. "Sometimes you can lose a ballgame in the sixth, seventh or eighth innings. My job is to go out there and pass the ball to the next guy so they can do their job, or pass it straight to Mariano. Whichever way it is, we still have to get those three, four or five crucial outs."
...

"I just felt like coming to New York was probably the best situation for me to be successful and be on a winning team," Hawkins said. "I think that's most important. I had some teams that wanted me to come there and start the process of a winning tradition.

Yeah, it's a slow news day.

Brian Cashman still believes that Kyle Farnsworth is the answer for the eighth inning and Hawkins will pitch the sixth and seventh innings, and possibly pitch two innings at a time. I think he is sadly mistaken.

1 comments:

Greg Cohen said...

Two things:

It's great to have a player in the Bronx who understands what it is to be a Yankee, and from the things he's saying it seems he does.

I'm also very happy that he doesn't seem too concerned with what his role will be.
Like he said, "...all of those innings are just as important".

Post a Comment