"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Friday, January 11, 2008

Knoblauch speaks

Chuck Knoblauch, who was named in the Mitchell Report and was asked to testify in front of Congress, finally ending his silence about said report.

From Thayer Evans of The Times:

“I have nothing to defend,” Knoblauch said. “I have nothing to hide at the same time.”

He described the Mitchell report as “crazy” and “interesting,” and added that what actually bothered him about being mentioned in the report is that “I’ve got nothing to do with any of that, I mean, any baseball.”

“And I don’t want anything to do with baseball,” he added.
On testifying:
“I read my name in the paper and see it on the news, but I haven’t heard a word,” Knoblauch said. “I’m supposed to be somewhere, but I haven’t been told where to be.”

Asked if he will talk to the committee, Knoblauch said: “Yeah, if I have to do that, then what are you going to do?”

On life after baseball:

On Thursday, he did not voice any regrets. “I love baseball,” he said, “but I’m not trying to get a job in baseball. I don’t have any friends from baseball. Baseball doesn’t control my life anymore.”
On becoming public again:

“Mad about it? No,” he said. “You know what? One of my strongest characteristics is not really caring what people think. I’m living my life. It’s not going to change my life one way or the other. You know, I’m not trying to get in the Hall of Fame. I got one vote though.”

Knoblauch did have one request. “Don’t tell anybody where I live,” he said.

Knoblauch seems very pleasant to be around at this time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment