"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Monday, March 10, 2008

Yankees add another player to their crowded camp

The Yankees signed Billy Crystal to a one-day contract with an invitation to spring training tonight. He will work out with the team on Wednesday and play in Thursday's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Commissioner Bud Selig had to sign off on this deal.

“I’ve been waiting 50 years for this call,” Crystal exclaimed. “I’m overwhelmed by the generosity of the Yankees and Commissioner Selig. I know this’ll be tougher than the Broadway Softball League, but I’m looking forward to helping the younger players…which, by the way, is all of them. Oops, I have to go, Scott Boras is on the phone.”
...

“The Yankees are excited to welcome the newest member of our team known for his humor and wit as well as his undying love for the Yankees,” said Lonn Trost, Yankees Chief Operating Officer. “The Yankees are very grateful to the Commissioner’s office for allowing us to extend this special invitation to Mr. Crystal.”
Stranger things have happened, I guess. Crystal, who will turn 60 on March 14, will wear No. 60.

Crystal hit .348 as a senior for his high school baseball team in Long Beach, N.Y. I bet Crystal at age 59 is a better hitter than Wil Nieves is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment