"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Monday, April 14, 2008

Congratulations to Evan Longoria

I couldn't help but have a smile on my face when Evan Longoria hit the game-tying solo home run tonight. Yes, it capped off a five-run Yankee bullpen implosion, but I was happy to see Longoria hit his first-career home run. He also hit his first-career double earlier in the game.

Longoria was drafted as the third overall pick in 2006. That June, he played for the Hudson Valley Renegades, the short-season single-A affiliate of the then-Tampa Bay Devil Rays. I saw him play his final game there and he ended up hitting two home runs, including one over the trees in left field - the first time anyone ever did so. I also got Bill Murray's autograph, as it was Bill Murray bobblehead night (he is a partner in the group that owns the team).

I've been following Longoria's progress ever since, so I was excited to hear that he was recently called up. I'm still rooting hard for him, even though he's in the AL East and will have many chances to kill the Yankees.

(AP Photo/Steve Nesius)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the congratulations, I greatly appreciate it

Anonymous said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEE LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Post a Comment