"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Monday, June 16, 2008

Hank shoots his mouth off, and I agree with him

Hank Steinbrenner spoke to Ben Walker, an AP reporter, and told him how he felt about the National League's rules possibly ending Chien-Ming Wang's season:

“My only message is simple. The National League needs to join the 21st century,” Steinbrenner said in Tampa, Fla. “They need to grow up and join the 21st century.

“Am I (mad) about it? Yes,” Steinbrenner added. “I’ve got my pitchers running the bases, and one of them gets hurt. He’s going to be out. I don’t like that, and it’s about time they address it. That was a rule from the 1800s.”

“This is always a concern of American League teams when their pitchers have to run the bases and they’re not used to doing it,” Steinbrenner said. “It’s not just us. It’s everybody. It probably should be a concern for National League owners, general managers and managers when their pitchers run the bases. Pitchers have enough to do without having to do that.”
Part of this could be out of frustration, but he is right. If the American League didn't have the DH rule, this wouldn't be an issue. But they do, and their pitchers aren't used to doing batting activities.

Pitchers should be able to run around the bases without injury, but they don't have to in the American League.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

off topic but are you going to the Derby or the ASG?

Andrew Fletcher said...

No. I think I have the opportunity to purchase them with my ticket plan, but I don't feel like spending the hundreds of dollars.

Post a Comment