"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sheppard hangs up the mike

ojvOCxqfLegendary voice of Yankee Stadium Bob Sheppard told Bryan  Hoch today that he plans on retiring.  Sheppard, 99, hasn’t called a game since 2007.

"I have no plans of coming back," Sheppard said on Wednesday in a telephone interview. "Time has passed me by, I think. I had a good run for it. I enjoyed doing what I did. I don't think, at my age, I'm going to suddenly regain the stamina that is really needed if you do the job and do it well."

The entire article is worth a read.  He has words of praise for current public address announcer Paul Olden.  Sheppard also said he doubts he’ll return to Yankee Stadium in 2010 to call one game.

Of course, we still hear Sheppard’s voice when Derek Jeter comes to bat.

*****

I’m sure Mr. Sheppard has a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, just like all of us.  On that note, I’d like to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Online Auction said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
buying research papers said...

It's very good that he doesn't plan to come back. It's better to leave on the peak of glory.

Bryant Rios said...

Am sure there gonna be a great change after his retirement.

Post a Comment