"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Friday, February 22, 2008

Jeter responds to A-Rod

Yesterday, Alex Rodriguez predicted that Derek Jeter would have an MVP season. Today, Jeter responded.

From Peter Abraham:

“I don’t even think about it. I have to be honest with you guys, man. I’d much rather win. That’s the bottom line. I’ve said time and time again, you play to win,” he said. “You always want to do well because the better you do, the better the team will be. But the bottom line from day one is whatever we can do to win.”
Oh, that Jeter. Always saying the right things to never stir the pot.

Abraham also gives us more quotes, regarding Jeter's off-season conditioning.
“I had done some different things this offseason to try and get better and try and improve. Did a lot of speed (work), lot of agility, lot of lateral movement, lot of explosive stuff to try and get quicker, faster and move around a little bit better,” he said.

“My issue has always been putting weight on. I have a real tough time gaining weight. In past offseasons I’d eat as much as I could to try and gain weight because I knew once spring training came I would lose weight. This year I basically just said this is the card I’ve been dealt, I might as well not try to gain too much weight and just work with what I have. Last year I had some problems with legs, so you do whatever you can to try and strengthen your legs.”
It's good to hear that many of the players have made a concerted effort to get into shape this winter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment