"Now, what is this site about, how Joe Torre ruined pitchers' arms? Is that it?"
-Michael Kay, August 18, 2009

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Kennedy activated, sent to Tampa

According to Joe Girardi, Ian Kennedy's start in Tampa yesterday was not a rehab start.

“This is him getting right,” Girardi said. “He’s not on the D.L. now. This is earning his way back, just like the other 175 players or so in the minors.”
This is only good for Kennedy, who needs a slice of humble pie at this point. After going 1-0 with a 1.89 ERA last season, he is 0-3 with a 7.41 ERA in nine games this season before going on the disabled list with a lat injury.

With the rotation the way it is, Kennedy could come back in a couple of weeks and have a spot in the rotation if he continues to work hard and pitch up to his potential.

If he can't, his words will come back to haunt him.
“I’m trying to say it humbly, but it doesn’t matter what I say, it’s going to come out cocky,” he said. “You just know. I woke up today and told my wife, I just have a feeling I’m going to make these guys look stupid.”
This "tough love" approach to Kennedy will only benefit him in the long run.

0 comments:

Post a Comment