The day I'll believe this report (via MLBTR) is the day I'll believe anyone who says they're withdrawing their offer to a Scott Boras client.
Basically, the report says the Yankees are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez to a three-year, $75 million deal. I'll believe it when I see the press conference or listen to the conference call.
Tim Dierkes has a rundown of this newspaper's recent history regarding free-agent proclamations:
- 11/24/08: Reported the Braves as the mystery team in on Rafael Furcal, offering four years and $52MM. The offer was inaccurate, but they did nail the mystery team.
- 11/12/08: Correctly scooped the Damaso Marte signing.
- 2/21/08: Incorrectly indicated the White Sox reached an agreement with Bartolo Colon. Also incorrect on a similar rumor involving the Royals.
- 1/21/08: Correctly scooped the Octavio Dotel signing.
- 11/18/07: Correctly scooped the Luis Castillo signing.